Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Disney World of Yore Part II


Okay,we saw a bit of the original "If You Had Wings" ride yesterday and I dug up another version of this ride, with higher quality footage and audio.This is the second version of the ride, "Delta Dreamflight," which later became "Disney's Take Flight" after Delta pulled sponsorship. This ride was totally removed and replace with Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. It was never one of my favourite rides but I feel it should have a bit of a tribute nevertheless.




Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a ride that many long time Walt Disney World guests still miss, and I am one of them, though I do appreciate the ride that replaced it in the end. If you have never been on it, or miss it desperately take heart, it is still winding about it's dangerous way in Fantasyland in Disneyland, California. This attraction displays again the dark humor of Disney Imagineers; the guests vehicle gets hit by a train and then sent to hell, a risk that they just won't take with newer attractions (in fact the only reason you "survive" Tower of Terror is because Eisner thought that people wouldn't want to purchase anything in the gift shop after if they were dead; how he and other management came to this conclusion I am unsure, but it amuses me greatly.)



I honestly miss this ride most of all the ones posted here, not only for the attraction itself but for the ambiance the water brought to Fantasyland, also having even this small body of water made if seem more like a full land. I know they needed land for Winnie the Pooh, but they used very little of it, most of it is now taken up by the place holding Pooh's Playfull Spot and Ariel's Grotto (where I hope one day they will put the Voyage of the Little Mermaid Ride, but that is a topic for a later post.) Also, I feel that Tomorrowland Speedway could and perhaps should be destroyed, it takes up a lot of real estate and could have easily been broken up to make room for maybe three other rides, it is also on the cusp of Fantasyland, allowing it to have easily become a part of it.

Hmm, some of this doesn't seem to make sense, but I am dizzy, so I will edit later.


No comments:

Post a Comment